Monday, October 26, 2009

Yanggaw and Wanted: Boarders

One of the hottest indie film today is title "Yanggaw"." For many Ilonggos, the story is just too real: a story on how a person can end up with the curse in his or her body. I haven't watched it yet but I have heard enough stories about ghosts and goblins. As an Ilonggo, this story is just another story - but a terrifying one because it can happen in my neighborhood.

Another Ilonggo movie is coming out and I just saw the trailer. Titled "Wanted: Boarder" the film is starred by Rosanna Roces and it was filmed right here in Iloilo: Guimbal and Miag-ao. For those who haven't been in these towns, these are among the most popular towns in the South simply because of its rich history. Miag-ao stands the most because of the historic church that's a UNESCO heritage site.

It's a bit strange to think that the next Ilonggo movie is another story about "aswangs." But when a person says he or she is from Iloilo, the idea of "DueƱas" and "Dumangas" comes to mind. Our popularity is not the same as Capiz but these towns are known to be scary. I have also heard stories about these towns and I can assure you - "Yanggaw and Wanted: Boarder" is just a tip of the iceberg.

I don't mean to scare you. What I really want to emphasize is that the rich storytelling tradition in my town is still alive. The stories on how my grandmother and great grandmother and father survived in our small town is still in me. There are also countless stories of "experience" told by many men that seemed to validate the existence of such individuals.

If you ask me, I don't know if they are true or not true...but I got to tell you - a story told often is often a story that should not be forgotten.

Happy Halloween!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What is this process called?
What type of crops are grown using this method